Get a Hobby! Play Guitar (or Bass, Drums, Piano, etc.)



I recently picked up a new student that had just retired from working in the high tech industry for over 30 years.  During those years he has played guitar off and on.  He told me when he graduated from college  the commencement speaker gave all the graduates one bit of advice.  Get a Hobby.  The speaker said that during your life you will most likely go from job to job, move from city to city, have children that will grow up and move out, and then you will retire.  A hobby was something you could take with you on your journey through life.   My student is now retired and he is so thankful he stuck with playing his guitar.  He is excited to get some formal guitar instruction.  I'm excited to have him as a student and to teach him a few new techniques and songs.  Get Hobby!  Good advice.

Comments

  1. I just discovered your blog . . . how very refreshing. I think I'm going to like it here:)
    I am a retired activity directory and I was always booking entertainment for the 93 residents in the assisted living building where I worked. The ones that came in playing guitar and singing where warm, laid-back folks that just seemed to enjoy life. One day, I got it in my head to learn guitar, so I purchased a beginner Fender. Went to Chordie, got finger placements for the chords and started off with two and three chord songs. Well, that was three years ago and now I'm playing with our local Old Time Fiddlers group. I play guitar and sing, the best part is that they came to me and ask me to join them (even said that they would camp out on my door step until I said yes) Well, that was the encouragement I needed to start feeling good about my progress and to start having fun. I can not imagine not having these friends and not getting together and jamming, as well as playing for local nursing homes, farmer markets, festivals etc. It has made my retirement life much, much richer than I ever imagined. I encourage every one to get a hobby or two :)
    I'm your newest follower. I have three blogs and one is nothing but lyrics and chords to easy songs. P.S. I love these photos, are these your classes . . . how blessed they are to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, thanks for the comments. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wish You Were Here - Lesson