Save Me San Francisco by Train - Intro and Strumming Pattern

The intro to Save Me San Francisco is sort of a shuffle groove with an old time rock-n-roll feel.  Here are a few playing tips.


  • Start with a D chord, and strum D to Dsus to D back to Dsus.  You can play this with all downstrokes, but it doesn't really matter.
  • The next chord is the power chord version of a G.  First finger string 6 on the third fret.  Third finger string five on the fifth fret.  Get ready to stretch, though.  You will need to reach your pinky over to fret seven of string five.  I play with only down strokes.
  • Next chord is an A power chord.  Fifth string is open and first finger on fourth string second fret.  Continue with the shuffle groove by reaching to fret four on the fourth string.  I use my third finger
  • Finish up by returning to the D and Dsus chords.


Strumming Pattern

I like to use a basic "campfire" style strum for the rest of the song.  My pattern goes like this:

D      D      D   U   Hit  U  

D= Down stroke
U= Up Stroke

Notice that the G, A, and final D chords are played on upstrokes.  I like to do a "hit" strum before switching chords.  This allows me to do a downward strumming motion on beat four, and I get to let go of the chord I am holding so that I can set up the new chord and strum it as my hand is going up after the hit.  I also like the percussive sound of the "hit."



Note:  You can play the intro groove through the verses if you like, and do the campfire strums for the  choruses.  Up to you.  Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wish You Were Here - Lesson